- Many advisors offer an all-or-nothing approach whereby the prospective
client is asked to hand over their assets to be managed by the advisor
at a cost of thousands of dollars. But some investors seek only a little
guidance, a second opinion, or a basic explanation of how to get started
managing their own assets. For this purpose, I offer face-to-face hourly
consulting at a reasonable cost.
- Typically this process begins with the client completing a confidential
questionnaire, gathering the latest monthly statements, and providing
them to RW Investment Strategies. Next, a meeting time and place convenient
to the client is set up. The client is charged only for face-to-face
time, for which two meetings are usually sufficient.
- If there is ever a charge for other than face-to-face meeting time,
the client is notified before RW Investment Strategies proceeds with
- The only fee that I receive is that paid by the client: no commissions
are collected on any investment recommended.
- For those investors not wanting to manage their assets, I offer investment
management services at a rate of 0.4% of assets up to $1.0 million and
0.3% on the increment above $1.0 million.
- The strategy uses market-indexed, low-fee, exchange-traded funds.
Portfolio allocation is determined by risk tolerance in consultation
with the client.
- A goal of the investment management process is, if desired by the
client, to eventually allow the client to manage the assets. As a result,
a special effort is made to educate the client on the process.
- I also work with company employees to educate them on their company
savings plan opportunities. Choices available to the employee in the
company 401(k) are analyzed, and specific recommendations are made based
on the employee’s age, risk tolerance, and retirement goals. Too often,
employees fail to participate in the plan because they are intimidated
by investment terminology. I seek to help employees over this hurdle.
- As part of this presentation, I am available to meet with employees
on an individual basis and offer pointers on general financial planning.
- The fee for this service is negotiable, depending on complexity of
the plan and the number of hours the company would request RW Investment
Strategies to remain on site to meet with employees. Typically, a group
presentation and three hours on site would run approximately $450.
- I am available to talk to community groups on investment basics including
portfolio allocation, exchange-traded funds, macroeconomic developments,
and retirement strategies.
- I enjoy working with young adults to enable them to gain financial
literacy and begin an investment program.